Monday, October 26, 2009

5 Things to Never Say to a Pregnant Woman

First, let me say that I am not cranky at all! I am in a great mood...feeling totally patient for Baby L to arrive on his on time frame, that is not what is spawning this post! Just more reminders of how inappropriately people behave around pregnant women! All of these things happened to me THIS MORNING while running errands!

Also, these are things that a STRANGER should not say to a pregnant woman, if you are my family or friend for the majority of these things you are in the clear...but if you don't know a pregnant woman and you find yourself asking these questions...shame on you!

1. "How much weight have you gained?"

This is totally unacceptable. If I noticed that you were heavier than the last time I saw you, or that you were heavier overall and I asked YOU how much weight you had gained, you would probably slap me, and you aren't even hormonal! Why on earth does it matter how much weight I have gained and why do you think that it is any of your business? This is not a socially acceptable question under any circumstances. The same holds true after a pregnant woman has had her baby...DO NOT ask her how much weight she has lost. Seriously people.

2. "Man, you are about to pop aren't you?"

Dumb question, period. What if she isn't ready to pop and you have just totally rattled her? Even if you are about to pop, as I am, this question is still annoying. There are better ways to phrase this very question such as: When are you due?

3. "Are you sure that baby is big enough? Are you eating enough?"

My baby is plenty big. If there were concerns my doctor would address them, and so everyone reading this knows...I am measuring right on track. Why on earth would a stranger try to plant fears in a pregnant woman's mind? Not only do you have no idea what I typically look like, since when did you go to medical school and become an OBGYN...that's right, you don't know what you are talking about. Leave it to the experts people and keep your opinions to yourself.

4. "How far dilated are you?"

Really? Whats happening with my cervix is between me and my cervix. Why on earth would someone I don't know want to know what's going on down there?

5. "Waddle, Waddle"

Don't even get me started on this. As if the end of pregnancy isn't uncomfortable enough, having a stranger point it out makes it even worse. Try walking around with a human head between your legs for weeks. I think I am doing pretty darn well.

There are many kind, sensitive things to say to a pregnant woman and truth be told, many people say them, and I appreciate you! But, again, if you find these phrases slipping out of your mouth, STOP!

2 comments:

  1. WADDLE WADDLE?! That is hilarious! Who in their right mind would ever dream of saying that to a pregnant woman? Oh girl - I am sorry! I would have gone crazy on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....I agree! People are so freakin' weird? Can I add to this list please? Please do not ask pregnant people that have a child already "Are you done having kids after this one?" Like it's their business! I can't tell you how many times people have asked me this. It's so funny...people are just so retarded...I can attest to having heard all of the same things as you at least once!

    ReplyDelete