Saturday, June 5, 2010

Changing/Growing

Most likely you think I am going to blog today about how much Luke is changing and growing by the minute....and while that is true, this post is dedicated to how having Luke has led US to change and grow.

The obvious growth and changes we anticipated: earlier evenings, earlier mornings, more family time, less "couple/date" time....the typical changes when you have children. While there is always room for growth and maturation, I felt like Drew and I were doing pretty well in that department prior to Luke. I did, however, have some pretty strong opinions about a few things and having a baby has changed my perspective. For those of you that I offended in the past, I apologize! I finally "get" it!

As a mother, there are a million things that we could choose to worry about. If I worried about them all I would drive myself to the point of insanity. I believe as a mom, one must choose a set of things to focus on (those things will be different for every mom). These are a few things I have chosen.

To begin: I have always enjoyed walking in to Whole Foods. The layout of the store is appealing, the atmosphere inspires one to purchase (typically items one never knew they were in need of-their marketing folks are incredible), the staff is courteous and informative. That being said, I have not been an advocate of organic food. That's right I said it, feel free to hit me over the head now. The cost is obscene, and I believed that it might just be a scam to get us to spend more money on something that we didn't technically have long term proof could be beneficial. Fast forward to Luke...CHANGE OF HEART. Now I have the inspiration to actually research what we put in our bodies...and let me tell you, I will do anything to ensure that Luke is getting pesticide free food and that the healthiest foods go in that little precious body of his. I am all about the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen. Even if we aren't CERTAIN that pesticides could lead to ADD, Autism, Obesity...the list goes on and on, I am personally am not willing to take that risk with my little man. A friend this week actually passed on a great site that I have enjoyed pouring through: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top-12-toxic-fruits-and-vegetables.html. Whole Foods still may be a little overpriced and I really like to support our local businesses, so I still prefer to shop at local organic Farmer's Markets...but sometimes the schedule doesn't work for us, so I am grateful for Whole Foods.

Secondly: I never gave much thought to skin care products. I bought what worked, what was reasonably affordable, what was easy to get. Again, I thought a lot of the talk about skin care products was much ado about nothing. Yet again, fast forward to Luke. Darn, WRONG again! We are slowly making the transition to safer options for our little man and for us as well. The skin absorbs so much, and I don't feel like I can just slather Luke up with anything and everything. This time of year sunscreen is so important. We have made some big changes in that department. Another friend sent me a great site for sunscreen for the summer: http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/.

I am so grateful for a good network of moms that share information that they find on various topics and are committed to providing the healthiest options for their babies!

Thirdly: This one is embarrassing and very different from the first two, but I will admit it.
We have been terrible about recycling. There is no excuse, we were lazy and selfish. We have the city of Prairie Village to thank for changing our ways. Our amount of trash this Spring was limited by the city forcing us (thankfully) to recycle. We have very little trash these days since almost EVERYTHING can be recycled! Why on earth we didn't regularly recycle before is beyond me...but I am glad we finally changed. I am sure Luke will be thankful someday as well!

Lastly (for now....there are many more but this post is far too long already): Our Health. We (meaning Drew and me) are more committed than ever before to eat well and to work out. We want to be in the best possible shape and health. After all, we have a little man that is depending on us and we want to be here for all the great moments of his life. He is a wonderful inspiration.

There are so many things that I am thankful to Luke for, but I am especially thankful that having him has forced me to evaluate some of our habits and preferences.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post=) As a "mama any day now" I completely agree with you. It scares me the things that go in our bodies through food, skin care and cleaning products. Luke is very lucky to have you for a mama and to care about what could be affecting his little body.

    PS As you know I, too, love WF. I'll share my secrets with you on how to make it somewhat cheaper - it really has worked for us.

    ReplyDelete