Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

I was not born a patient person. Anyone who knows me well, knows that patience has never been my strong suit. The last few years I have had many lessons in patience thanks to pregnancy and motherhood. In 2008 after we lost our first baby, we patiently had to wait three months for a test that would indicate if we could in fact conceive a child in the traditional way. That was a long three months, but we were rewarded with a positive result and a successful pregnancy the following month. Then, just as every pregnant woman, I held my breath through the first trimester, relished in the second, and impatiently waited out the third trimester, plus a bonus week, for Luke to arrive. Somehow that year of lessons helped me find my patience, and I surprised Drew and even myself with my patience for Luke during his infancy. Then we hit toddlerhood, which I would suspect even for the most patient of parents, can test the limits. In the last few months (and I know we have only tipped the iceberg of this long stage) Luke has tested me at times and I have spent sessions on the phone with my mom brainstorming to try and overcome his antics at times and my own impatience. Truth be told, overall he is an angel, I am just not as patient as I would like right now! This pregnancy has been a little rockier than we had hoped and another lesson in patience. I spent the first week of January in stress mode, and have been able to find peace these last four weeks, and now again I find my mind in a tailspin of worry.


Yesterday at my appointment everything was fine, our baby’s heartbeat was a strong 163 beats per minute, but I had more blood work drawn. This blood work in combination with my ultrasound on Feb. 14th will give us a better idea of the health of the baby, health of the placenta and risk of preterm delivery, low birth weight, etc. I am feeling pretty nervous, but am grateful that in 9 days some of the questions will have some light shed on them….we will still have many more weeks of patient waiting ahead, but right now this next week feels the most challenging. Our family and friends seem to be on pins and needles waiting to hear if this baby is a boy or a girl, but to me, this is completely irrelevant, it makes no difference to me as long as we have a healthy baby. Please continue to keep our baby in your thoughts and prayers.

In the mean time we have lots of fun to fill our plates with Drew’s 33rd birthday celebrations this weekend, a full work week ahead and a fun girls trip to Nashville next weekend with my best friend Ashlee who is also expecting!

2 comments:

  1. These babies teach us so many lessons, don't they? Praying for you guys and baby K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers each and everyday. I know all too well that patience is not something that comes naturally to you...or to me for that matter! And you must know I don't give a hoot if it is a boy or girl, only healthy! Love you Sweet Girl, you are an amazing mommy.

    ReplyDelete