Sunday, April 10, 2011

Third Trimester

I have officially made it to the third trimester, which I am so grateful for, back in January I had moments when I feared I wouldn't make it, so I am thrilled that this little man is still in my belly, here's to at least 10 more weeks!

I am one of those women that actually enjoys being pregnant for the most part, and I couldn't wait to be pregnant again.  That being said, being pregnant with a second child is a very different experience than the first for many reasons, at least for me.  The overall excitement and anxiety is just very different and because I have previously experienced it (despite this being a very different pregnancy than with Luke) I don't take the time to relish in all the fun moments, and certainly don't have the time to spend for myself....I honestly feel as though I haven't sat down since I found out I was pregnant.  Chasing a toddler with a big ole belly, aching hips and heartburn is a whole new experience! There are no prenatal massages, naps, and pampering for this mama!

Drew has been out of town on a guys trip the last four days, and I have loved all the alone time I have had with Luke.  I have said it before, but I try to soak up all of these remaining solo moments with him.  Since I work full time I often feel somewhat cheated out of the alone times with him and feel like my mind is always split between work and engagement with Luke, whether I am at home or at work...its hard to feel like I can give either work or parenthood my all, or be as great at either one as I would hope.  Having these last few days with Luke to myself just reinforces how much I adore this little man and also made me feel a little anxious that soon there will be two little men in my life...that I know I will equally adore, but have to split my time with.  Obviously, I am ecstatic to have our family grow, but it is hard to imagine Luke not being our "baby,"sharing my time and energy with another child and I worry about how Luke will feel when Baby Boy 2 arrives.  The great unknown...its what makes expectant parents excited and nervous for Baby 1, and this time those same feelings are reemerging but just for very different reasons.  We have an idea what to expect and what parenthood is like (even though every baby is different) but this time I am more nervous about finding balance.  Balance between two children, work, our marriage, and a little "me" time, too.  Those of you that 3+ kids probably think I am being silly, TONS of people have more than one child and I know that it will all work out great, and I will look back and think how silly I was being at this juncture!  There is just something really special about a first child, and I know there will be something so special and unique about our youngest, or maybe someday our middle child.  I have just really enjoyed having Luke in the spotlight and it makes me a little sad that he will have to share that, and that Baby Boy 2 will never feel that solo attention that Luke had.  Of course, this little guy will have an instant best friend for life (hopefully!) and will always have a play mate!  There is give and take with everything.

This weekend I did make some significant progress on Luke's new room....even though I dread moving him upstairs and so far away!  My parents helped me paint some furniture and his room and soon we can move on to getting his bathroom ready!
Luke playing fetch with Rigley...he throws it further every day and she amuses him by chasing it and bringing it back!

It's amazing the fun that can be had with old measuring cups and big bowl of water!  (Thanks for the idea mom!)


We had great weather and enjoyed lots of time at the park by our house and Luke had his first experiences in a sand box and he loved it! Please pray that Luke's little ear surgery goes smoothly Thursday morning and that he is back to his jolly self just a few hours later!

No comments:

Post a Comment