Friday, June 10, 2011

Hoping for a Break!

Well...if United didn't drop us last week, we gave them further reason this week...seriously?  I know.  Let me just clarify, after last week's post my mom actually thought that we had received notification from United that they were considering dropping our coverage...I was only kidding around, and I am very aware that our recent health issues are extremely trivial compared to many people suffering out there.

Drew left town this week for a work trip and even though in my head I felt confident I wouldn't have this baby while he was gone, I was still a little nervous, especially considering I am still heading for a c section with this breech baby.  Luke and I had a great day on Wednesday playing with friends and relaxing together but as the day progressed Luke started to have a severe allergy attack.  I honestly didn't think much of it because it seems every time he is on antibiotic for his ears he seems to get a lot of congestion about a week in.  By the time bedtime rolled around I noticed he was wheezing a little bit but I thought it was just the nasal congestion so I suctioned him out and put him to bed.  I went to check on him a few times and the wheezing was getting louder, finally I lifted up his shirt and saw that his chest was retracting significantly.  So I scooped him up and took him to Children's Mercy at about 11pm.  By the time we got to their waiting room Luke had very shallow, fast breathing and a lot of retraction.  They skipped the check in process and took us immediately back to see the doctor.  Luke got some steroids and a breathing treatment, which he hated.  The last time he had breathing treatments he loved them because they made him feel so much better (in fact, after the first one he signed "more please"), but this time he screamed bloody murder and fought us the entire time.  When we left 3 hours later, Luke had a "diagnosis" of asthma and I had been "trained" (I use that word very loosely) on how to manage his asthma and left with an action plan and 4 prescriptions which I was told needed to be filled immediately so I could use them at home if he struggled with his breathing again that night.  So my 9 month, pregnant tired, a@* hauled my 19 month old child who was jazzed up on steroids to the 24 hour CVS at 2:15 in the morning.  Awesome. To the inconsiderate, slow, rude pharmacist who "helped" us in a record 60 minutes (the prescriptions had been sent over 25 minutes before we even arrived), I have a call in to your manager, you should be ashamed of yourself.  Let's just say that after exhaustedly trying to contain Luke for the first 30 minutes in the store, I finally allowed him to create total chaos, pulling things off shelves, running through the isles, trying to open bags of candy anything to irritate the guy enough so he would want us out of the store, I didn't work very hard to clean up the mess before we left either, and I don't feel badly about it now either.

After just a couple of hours of sleep, Luke woke up struggling to breathe again, so I went to give him his inhaler.  The same inhaler the respiratory therapist at the hospital told me it would take 2 people to administer; one to hold the child down, the other to give the meds.  Sounds pretty realistic, right?  Who thinks up these kind of instructions?  Anyway, I was NOT successful, my mom came over to help and we were only partially successful.  It is awful to watch your child struggling to breathe, have medicine that can help them, but not be able to get the medicine IN him.  So I called the pediatrician and said I needed a lot more training to administer these meds.  So we spent nearly 3 hours yesterday morning at the pediatrician.  That session included 15 minutes of pure hell while me and the nurse held down my again steroid jazzed child (who was unrecognizable to me at this point) who was flailing, thrashing, arching, kicking, punching, pulling and screaming while we tried to administer a breathing treatment.  I am pretty sure he scared off the super full waiting room of kids who heard him screaming bloody murder for 15 LONG minutes.  I would like to point out that Luke is probably the most laid back kid, 90% of the time, I have never seen him act like this.

The good news is that I have found a way to give Luke his medicine, by myself, although my mother in law was gracious enough to help me twice yesterday. Luke is breathing well, he is back at daycare today so I can finally "rest" and put my feet up...almost forgot about those doctor's orders!

I am really bummed that it appears Luke has asthma, I am hopeful that it is a minor case and that since we have medicine and know warning signs now that we can control it and not have a middle of the night  trip to the hospital or any other time for that matter.  I had asthma as a kid, and I had hoped that that wouldn't be one of the things I passed on to Luke...seems that poor kid has inherited all the things I don't really care for in myself...hopefully he will get a few positive things too!

The great news is that I am still pregnant and only 9 days from a full term pregnancy, 37 weeks!  The biophysical this morning went great, baby is still breech but my amniotic fluid was better which is important to help him turn.  If he hasn't turned by my appointment next Friday we will schedule a version at the hospital for the week of June 20th, if that is not successful then I will have a c section July 1st.

I feel like I have been asking for an awful lot in my prayers lately, for Luke's health, the baby's health, to not go in to labor, to have the baby flip, to not have a baby with Drew out of town.  I need to be grateful for the small successes and the answered prayers and not focus so much on the c section possibility, especially.   The most important thing is that we have a healthy delivery and baby.  Hopefully in the next month we will all 4 be home with two healthy kiddos and all these things will just be a memory and we will be figuring how to manage 2 under 2...that's when the funny versus the dramatic posts will most certainly begin!

We have spent the last 2 weekends at the lake and are working on acclimating Luke to the water again...


Luke has been hilarious and ornery lately...his favorite thing to say is "Don't do that" while shaking his head...which makes me realize that we have been saying THAT too much!  Oops!  He is in to everything, but does love to be helpful and bring us our keys, shoes, phones etc.  He is such a sponge and absorbs everything, both good and bad!, and I love watching it.  He has a new baby doll that he is practicing with, he is going to be a great big brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment