Saturday, July 2, 2011

Answered Prayers

It is with very full hearts that we share the birth of our second son, Bowen Charles Keller!  Bowen was born at 7:56am on Friday July 1st.  He weighed in at a surprising 8 lbs 1 oz (considering he was 9 days early) and a tiny 18 inches long (Thank goodness he wasn't a week late like his big brother or I could have had a 9 lb baby!)!

We have spent many months praying and hoping that the little man would join us in late June or early July and that he would be born healthy.  I am touched by the number of people that have kept our family and this little precious bundle in their prayers over the last 6 months.  Thank you so much!  Bowen is proof that God answers our prayers!  Not only is he sweet and mellow as can be, but he is also a very healthy little man!

Bowen Charles is named after both sides of our family.  Bowen is my Grandma Hovel's maiden name and Charles is a family name for 6 generations in Drew's family.  This little guy has big shoes to fill but I am certain he is up to the task!  So far he is quite the rock star!

I must admit that after all of my dismay over having a c section it really was 100% fine and nothing to fear.  It was a very different experience than my delivery with Luke but really none less special.  Everything happened very quickly, it was kind of like an out of body experience in some ways, but I didn't feel nearly as disconnected from the delivery as I had feared.  From the time our OB came in to the OR for the delivery to the time I first saw little Bowen it was probably just over 5 minutes and 15 minutes after his birth I was headed back to the recovery room to hold him.

Bowen, immediately after birth, looked just like his big brother Luke, except with chunkier legs and lighter hair that isn't quite as thick as Luke's was.  We are undecided right now on how much the two boys look alike.  We can certainly tell they are brothers but they seem different to us.  Bowen is mellow, so far, just like his brother and loves to sleep and snuggle.  I forgot how sweet little baby sounds are!

The greatest part of yesterday was when Luke came to the hospital to meet Bowen.  We had very low expectations for how Luke would respond.  We were fully prepared that he would be far more interested in my IV, the machines in the hospital room etc.  than in his baby brother.  We figured he wouldn't pay much attention to the baby.  We were completely mistaken.  Luke was completely in awe of the baby.  He "pet" his head/hair, pointed out his various body parts, kissed him, hugged him, studied him, replaced his binky, spoke in a soft high pitched voice to him and was just overall very engaged.  Today when he walked in the room he pointed and yelled "Baby!"  It completely melted my heart to watch Luke interact with Bowen, he is going to be an amazing big brother.  I am so proud of him.

I feel so incredibly lucky to have two healthy, adorable baby boys.  I couldn't have dreamed for more in my life.  I didn't know I could be in love with three men at a time, but I was wrong; I couldn't be more in love with Drew, Luke and Bo even if I tried!

We are hopeful that we will head home Monday and will keep everyone posted as we all get settled back in at home!

Without further ado...here are some of Bowen's first pics!

Last night as an only child!  (Excuse the blurriness, it was so humid the lens fogged over!)

First Glimpse of Bowen!



Love Luke's expression here


"Petting Baby"



The loves of my life!


Group Kiss!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Baby Bowen!!! You are absolutely precious and a miracle... a true sign that God hears and answers prayers. Can't wait to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What a beautiful family you all make!

    ReplyDelete